Live the other Tuscany
- Duration: one week with arrival on Monday and departure on Sunday.
- Recommended period: from May to October
- Availability: on request, minimum 8 participants
Why THE OTHER TUSCANY ? Because this part of Tuscany: Garfagnana is different from the rest of ‘Classic Tuscany’ and the one everyone knows and imagines. It is embedded in the northern part and develops around the banks of the Serchio river, which it crosses, among the thick vegetation of the Apennines and the reliefs of the Apuan Alps that frame its profile. In the valley we find scattered here and there marvellous medieval villages such as Castelnuovo di Garfagnana and Barga, fortresses and walls that tell thousands of years of history.
The motorbike is an ideal means of admiring the wonders of this land and stopping to take photos to immortalise the Garfagnana becomes a necessity. On the saddle of your motorbike you will never cease to be amazed by the continuous change of scenery between parks, bastions of history, rugged mountains and the white marble of the Apuan Alps.
The package includes:
- Welcome Cocktail;
- Accommodation in Classic double or twin room;
- 6 buffet breakfasts;
- 6 Tasting dinners with typical local products
- 5 lunches in restaurants and typical places during the tours
- Entrance with guided tour to the Wind Caves
- Entrance with guided tour to the Verrucole Fortress
- Entrance with guided tour to the Quarry in the Fantiscritti gallery
- Optional entrance with motorbike into the Fantiscritti Quarry
- Tour with Land Rover Defender to the marble quarries of Carrara
Departure of the tour “Le grotte del Vento” ( Wind Cave ) at 9 am and return in the evening The first tour of the week takes us to the lower part of the Garfagnana, crossing the valley, after a stop in Castelnuovo di Garfagnana, we will arrive at the Grotta del Vento. Located in the Apuan Alps Regional Park in the middle of one of the rugged and suggestive areas of the Pania Secca. It owes its name to the violent air current that flows through it, due to the two entrances located at different heights. We pass through tunnels and galleries smoothed by water, halls adorned with stalagmites that look like white teeth, while stalactites dripping water droplets hang from the ceiling, walls enriched by flows and draperies that fade from white to orange, we walk between crystalline lakes and streams until we reach large vertical wells of inexplicable beauty that make the Grotta del Vento a real encyclopaedia of the underground world, visited every year by many tourists. Our stop includes a guided tour of the cave.
Departure of the “Garfagnana Lakes” tour at 9am and return in the evening.
Day dedicated to discovering three of the most important lakes in the Garfagnana area:
– Lago di Gramolazzo: A picturesque hydroelectric basin in which the rocky peaks of the Roccandagia, Tambura, Pisanino and Pizzo d’Uccello mountains are reflected. A small quay has been built near the beautiful grassy beach where sailboats and rowing boats can moor. It is the only lake in Garfagnana where you can swim.
– Lake Vagli: one of the largest hydroelectric basins in Italy, but its fame is due to the ghost town of Fabbriche di Careggine hidden whitin it. The waters of the lake, as they rose, submerged this small medieval village of blacksmiths from Brescia. Today it is only possible to visit what remains of this charming little village when the lake itself is drained. Don’t forget the “Ponte a funi sospese” (suspended rope bridge), which allows you to cross the lake from one shore to the other suspended in the air, the nearby “Parco dell’onore e del disonore” (Park of Honour and Dishonour) and, for the most courageous, “Il volo dell’angelo” (The flight of the angel), an exciting launch into the valley with arrival right above the lake.
– Isola Santa Lake: Isola Santa, where the old village with its slate-covered roofs is reflected in the waters of the lake of the same name. It is a small village in the Apuan Alps at 550 m above sea level. It was probably founded as a hospice in the early Middle Ages, on the road linking Garfagnana to Versilia. This once abandoned hamlet has been partly restored in recent years while retaining a very rustic appearance. Isola Santa is embellished by an ancient church dedicated to San Jacopo, dating back to 1260 AD and now deconsecrated. The village overlooks an artificial lake, filled by the waters of the Turrite Secca stream stopped by a dam in 1948-49, which partly submerged the ancient settlement.
Departure of the “Parco delle Alpi Apuane” tour at 9am and return in the evening.
On the third day you will discover the unspoilt nature of the Garfagnana region along mountain roads rich in history, small medieval villages and endless curves designed for pure driving pleasure. During this tour you will pass through villages such as Careggine. The village lies on the slopes of Mount Sumbra on the eastern side of the Apuan Alps and enjoys one of the most beautiful panoramic terraces in the entire valley. The historic centre, enclosed within the walls, offers suggestive views of the narrow cobbled streets, overlooked by stone houses with characteristic “ALTANE”: covered terraces that were used to store agricultural products. A beautiful panoramic road connects Careggine to main city of the Garfagnana: Castelnuovo di Garfagnana.
Castelnuovo di Garfagnana is a small town situated at the confluence of the Turrite Secca and the Serchio and is the centre of the valley. It is one of the most historically rich towns you will find in Garfagnana; there are many attractions to visit, but we recommend that you do not miss a visit to the Rocca Ariostesca, built in the 10th century and which became famous and known by its current name after hosting Ludovico Ariosto as governor of Garfagnana for the Este family in the 16th century. After visiting the Rocca continue on to the nearby historic centre and the Piazza del Duomo. Before leaving the town and heading back to your hotel, head for the Fortezza di Monte Alfonso. The fortress was built by the Este family to defend the town; it is surrounded by imposing walls with bastions, two entrance gates and walkways, thanks to the strategic position in which it stands you will admire another of the most beautiful views that the Garfagnana has to offer.
Departure of the “Devil’s Bridge and Abetone” tour at 9am and return in the evening.
On this tour we will take you to discover one of the most famous bridges in Italy and one of the most popular mountain passes for sports enthusiasts: The Devil’s Bridge and the Abetone Pass.
You will begin your tour by crossing the whole of the Garfagnana through the SR 445 with a succession of curves and unique views until the Ponte della Maddalena, commonly known as the “Devil’s Bridge”, appears on your right in all its grandeur. It is a medieval stone construction with an unusual shape, built around 1100 by Countess Matilde Di Canossa near Borgo a Mozzano.
After your stop at the Ponte del Diavolo (Devil’s Bridge), the ascent to the Abetone Pass begins; the most important town you will pass through is Bagni di Lucca. Bagni di Lucca became famous and well known in the world thanks to Elisa Bonaparte Baciocchi ( Napoleon Bonaparte’sister ) who made the town her summer capital, with a great influx of international guests. With the restructuring of the thermal baths and the modernisation of the treatments, a considerable number of hotels were built to accommodate increasingly diverse guests.
The discovery of the Val di Lima up to the Abetone Pass begins. The territory of Abetone has always been a pass through the Apennines and it is said that Hannibal ( Carthaginian Leader ) also used it to enter Etruria. In 1766, construction began on the road that joined the Grand Duchy of Tuscany with the Duchy of Modena, crossing the lower reaches of the Apennines. It was agreed between the two states to start the work at the same time, starting from the border, in order to avoid any delay. Six hundred workers divided into six companies set to work in two different locations. During the construction work, a fir tree was felled that was so large that it could not even be embraced by six people and from which the name Abetone was born.
Over the years, Abetone became a summer and winter holiday resort, with one of the most important ski resorts in central Italy.
Departure of the “Marble Road” tour at 9am and return in the evening A tour dedicated entirely to the marble of the Apuan Alps. A Saturday that will take us to visit abandoned quarries and those in activity, partly in Garfagnana and partly in Carrara. The history of the White Marble experienced inside and outside the mountain. The itinerary starts in the morning with a visit to an abandoned quarry in Garfagnana and after crossing the Apuan Alps we will reach Carrara to visit with a Land Rover Defender the quarries in activity in the open air. Lunch in the village of Lardo di Colonnata and in the afternoon we enter the heart of the Fantiscritti mountains on our own motorbikes or with the minibus.
Important to know
Experience the other Tuscany by motorbike.
The passion and experience gained in recent years has always leads us in search of different views and landscapes to offer: a valley to explore “on tiptoe”, but always seeing everything from a “different angle”. Thanks to the considerable and growing interest in these activities, we have created numerous proposals, ranging from off-road to bituminous to simple Tours on asphalt roads. We have identified a whole series of routes that can be taken with us, customising and organising events for companies in the motorbike world and rallies for motorbike clubs and groups of friends. Off-road excursions, with particular attention to Maxi-enduros, are carried out among the most beautiful and challenging routes in the High Garfagnana, the Tuscan-Emilian Apennines and the Apuan Alps. All the roads that we go to travel are authorized to transit ONLY with a specific request to the authorities responsible for protecting the environment.
Years on the bike and attention to the advice of our customers-motocyclists have led us to think of services and furnishings designed specifically for the needs of fans of two wheels:
- Large private parking with video surveillance
- A private garage with video surveillance
- Workshop equipped for small and medium repairs
- Pressure washer for washing motorbikes
- Motorbike recovery with Nissan Pick-up
- Agreements with local dealers and mechanics for spare parts and repairs
- Free WIFI
- Storage room for helmets and technical clothing
- Info Point
- Specialized magazines
- 2 Swimming pools with solarium terrace for relaxation after the tour (open from June to September)
The packages are designed for groups of motorcyclists who like to use their motorbikes to discover the most hidden and exciting corners of Tuscany.
When defining and accepting the travel contract it is necessary to indicate the presence of people requiring special diets and with reduced mobility in order to be able to verify the services and the possibility of assistance.
The price includes
Methods of payment
- – DEPOSIT: € ___, within 7 days of enrolment
- – BALANCE: no later than 21 days before the date of departure: € ___, by ___________
CANCELLATION BY THE TRAVELLER:
FOR ANY VOLUNTARY CANCELLATIONS THE FOLLOWING PENALTIES WILL APPLY:
- CANCELLATIONS UP TO 15 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE: 50% PENALTY
- CANCELLATIONS FROM 14 DAYS PRIOR TO DEPARTURE: 100%
CANCELLATION WITHOUT PENALTY: within ___________
Book A Holiday Idea
TOUR 6 Days/5 Nights
Period 01.05.2021 / 15.10.2021